One of the beauties of data on the web which people license for re-use is that you can do all sorts of cool stuff with the data. Taking data from somewhere and re-using it somewhere else is often referred to as a mashup. Below are a couple of mashups which you may be interested in.
This tool uses images from Flickr which we mentioned a couple of days ago (by the way, please continue to add your photos to our Festive 24 Things group as we hope to use them for another “thing” later on). You can specify a search term (I chose “santa claus”) and it will pull relevant images from Flickr and present them in a montage. You can then hover over any of the images and change the montage to your chosen image. I found this tool lots of fun, give it a go! Feel free to share your creations with us either on here or on Twitter
If you’ve been on Twitter for the last week or so and follow anyone in the UK, you are likely to have come across some tweets tagged with #uksnow which include a postcode and a snow rating. As well as being able to see how much snow your friends have (and in my case, get incredibly jealous if you don’t have much yourself at the time), these tweets are used to create a Twitter mashup showing the level of snow across the UK. I found this really useful recently when trying to plan whether or not to travel. As it’s updated so quickly and by so many different people, I tend to find this crowdsourcing method more reliable than any weather forecast! Next time it snows in the UK, be sure to check out the #uksnow map and accompanying tweets.
Welcome to Festive 24 Things, originally an advent calendar based on the same idea as the 23 Things programme.
Join Damyanti, Jo and Trudi in their festive quiz through useful (and hopefully fun!) online resources. Each day there will be a cryptic clue to the title of a Christmas carol (or song) and a tool which will also give you clues. At the end of the 24 days, we’ll ask you to submit your responses for each day and we’ll draw a winner
Calendar of posts
- Festive 24 Things 2011 answers
- We have a winner!
- Enter the Festive 24 Things 2011 quiz
- Red man en route to borough
- Willoughby dines out
- Give Attention to the Melodious Celestial Beings
- Swingin’ around and around the richest master
- Proceed and enlighten on the pinnacle
- Arrival time: 2400 hours; Weather: cloudless
- 1066 and all that describes monarch in unorthodox Czech landmark
- New born Nick
- Musical slogan advertises whisky
- Parent was observed oscillating a red coated unshaven teamster
- Castaneous coloured seed vesticated in a conflagration
- Bidding everyone festive joy
- The dozen festive 24 hour intervals
- I heard ugly sisters: Nancy, Moira and Princess Charlotte
- Bantam male percussionist
- Singular yearning for twin anterior incisors
- The quadruped with vermilion proboscis
- Obese personification fabricated of compressed mounds of minute crystals
- Monarchical triad
- Bleached Yule
- Sound of Tinkerbell’s end from the big apple
- Righteous Darkness